Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New expectations and Y?


New expectations and Y?


Watching the “Friends” television show was my first and perhaps the only significant encounter with life in NY City before I landed here, literally sick thanks to a chest infection and irritated due to flight delays and airport security checks, on the morning of January 4th. Despite being in such a bad mood, I was really looking forward to my ride from the airport to my residence halls. However, the first twenty minutes of the ride only boasted wide open areas and minimal traffic whereas I thought that Manhattan was NY and NY was Manhattan thanks to my favorite American sitcom.


Now let me tell you what went on in my mind during my first day in New York. My first expectation had fallen flat on its face and I had no idea what special expectations I should have from New York. Why was I supposed to have expectations? It’s a BIG city. YES! It’s the economic capital of the world. Nothing to do with me right now! Hundreds of people are walking really fast on the streets all the time. Exciting right?

Sohail Rana (my classmate): It’s “actually multicultural” (comparing NY to Abu Dhabi).
Me: “Well, it’s New York.”

Before going to bed yesterday, I decided to take the city experience as it comes and form new expectations for this amazingly modern world city.

No comments:

Post a Comment